Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Librarian tidiness

One stereotype of people who become librarians is that they are obsessively neat and fixated on filing systems. At least to some degree I belive this is true. While I'm not obsessively neat, all my books and cds are in alphabetical order by author/artist/band and then in chronological order by date of publication. And I do think my mind is obsessively neat even if the rest of me isn't. A lot of other librarian types I know are also obsessive about filing and so forth, too. I always thought that the career of librarian attracted people interesting in this type of stuff because a good part of the job is about filing, categorising and recalling information from specific categories. So yeah, I always thought that this particular job attracted a certain personality type.

Apparently this is not the case! I've been into several uni libraries recently to use their librarian book section (025 if anyone's counting) and in every single one, the entire section is in complete dissaray! Books are all over the place, on the ends of shelves, backwards and certainly not in any type of (Dewey) order. I am horrified at this development! If library student can't keep their section in order, what hope do we have for other sections populated by notoriously messy students?! Actually it's kind of scary to think that librarian students can't follow the dewey decmimal system...

Anyway you'll be pleased to know that your friendly library fairy (ie me) felt the need to put the section in order (even at uni libraries not my own!) so they should be in order for the next day or two, should any of you intrepid readers wish to avail yourselves of this section! I feel I'm fighting a losing battle. Am I the last of the great obsessive librarians?