Friday, March 03, 2006

Keeping fit, the best way I know how

I've tried many types of exercise over the years. Keeping fit, and the process of exercising, isn't one that appeals to me in any way. So I have tried swimming (my favourite), bike riding, running, walking, and so on. The gym is out of the question, I'm afraid. I think I am politically opposed to gyms.

Luckily for me, then, that I've just returned to my best, and most effective, form of exercise: the mad sprint n the morning to the train station so you're not late for work. I had a particularly fast walk this morning - a walk that normally takes 20-25 minutes took me about 12. You could view this as a shocking indictment about how late I run in the mornings. I prefer to see it as my fitness level improving so I can do this walk in 12 minutes without dying along the way!

This form of fitness has the added bonus (at least for me) that I can be excruciatingly self-righteous towards people who do no exercise without having to make that much of an effort myself to actually "get fit". Best of both worlds, really.