Sunday, April 02, 2006

Kids and Trains

I'm not a huge fans of kids (some of you might know that...) and I'm really not a fan of kids in public places. Like trains, for example. But however much I must hate the kids, I have to at least acknowledge that their behaviour is not really their fault. I have to blame the parents. The worst type of parent are the ones who smile indulgently at their kids, and you, if you accidentally catch their eye, while their spawn crawl over seats, kick your knees (oh yes) and scream at the top of their voices while going through under a tunnel, through a station, when the doors open, or any other general time. I never know if the parents are actually oblivious to the commotions of their child (having become immune after living with the child), if they don't think their child is doing anything wrong, or if they think that trying to control their child is worse than letting them run wild. And why any parent would try to include anyone else in their adoration of their child is quite beyond me. While it might be fun for the parents to allow other people to 'watch' their kids while climbing over seats, on the floor, on other peoples' bags etc etc, it's not so fun for the rest of the commuters, regardless of how much they personally may love kids. For me, I'm all for isolation and segregation of children. Give them their own trains with nice comfy seats, toys to play with and endless supplies of snacks. The parents could have their own carriage, safe in the knowledge that the entire train is child-proof, sanitary and safe. Actually, I'm not that concerned about what happens to kids and public transport, as long as they're not near me. Or within hearing range. Or kicking range. Because one day soon I'm going to snap and start pushing the kids off the trains. Or maybe I should go for the parents??!