Tuesday, March 14, 2006

TV Ads I hate

There are 2 very similar ads on TV at the moment, which use the same form, same voiceover and same language. Really, I think different states should talk to each other before embarking on such similar ad campaigns. One of these ads is for Western Australia, the other for the Ghan train trip. Both ads talk about the "real Australia", show various images and encourage us to get back to our roots, as it were. As a side note, let me just say that neither of these ads appeal to me. I have no interest on sitting on a train for days and days and looking out my window and seeing...well, nothing really. Train trips are not as glamourous or as fun as they're trying to make out. And as for Western Australia, I don't have anything against it, but nor do I have any kind of pressing desire to get anywhere near it.

But what I really wanted to talk about was the voice overs used for these ads. That gravelly, blokey "real Australia" with broad aussie accent with hint of actor's training in there. While I'm happy that at least a couple of aussie blokes are getting steady voice over work, it's rather sad that our ads haven't changed at all in the last 20 years at least. Of course, the master of the aussie bloke voice was the guy who voiced the VB ads for all those years (you know the one: "You can get it shootin'/you can get it rootin'/you can get it groping a cow/Matter of fact, I've got it now!" or something similar...). He was such a master that after he died in the late 80s, they kept using his voice, first from snippets and offcuts and later through digital means.

My point is, why can't Australian tourism people think up better ads?! Especially if you are appealing to a national audience. Although I'm sure it says something about our current national psyche if these are the ads which appeal. So next time you see these ads, marvel at the vocal skils required to produce such a challenging accent! Cheer the marketing gurus who thought these campaigns! But please, spare a thought for the original VB man and his genius.