Thursday, March 09, 2006

Preparation for the Commonwealth Games

The government's preparation for the Commonwealth Games leaves me in disbelief. I realise I'm not the only one to mention this, but when the official government advice for using public transport during the games is, well, not to use it, I think we have some problems. For those not in the know, the official government advice is to avoid travelling in peak hour to and from the city, so, you know, ask your boss if you can work from home or change your working hours. This is insanity! I hope the government is giving all its employees time off during the games (maybe that's how they're going to fill all the empty seats during the Opening Ceremony), but certainly my employeer is not so generous. Something about having to have a library open at reasonable hours, so people can use it....or something... Apparently it's also going to be a law during the games that you can't loiter on the steps of Flinders St station (to allow more people to stream out of the station and straight into their games venues...) - so I gues the goths will have to find a new temporary home.

Meanwhile, to allow the ridiculous baton to do its thing (whatever that is...), they have already started blocking roads off in all areas. Their advice - don't drive, take public transport instead! Sheer insanity.

While it would be very nice to be able to work from home, and not move out of my house for the next two or so weeks, it would be even nicer if they conceded that Melbourne's public transport system is not up to scratch, and could do with an overhaul. It would have been nicer if it had received an overhaul in time for the games. As it is, I will be squished onto a train next week, with millions of other people, not filled with uplifting joy of seeing my favourite athlete participate in an obscure sport, but instead filled with murderous rage at having to share my already overcrowded morning train with even more people, on my way to regular employment.