Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Volunteers and trains

First of all, apologies for not updating sooner. I usually do it from work but last night the internet was down all night. Yes, at a library. All night. I think the staff were angrier than the patrons... anyway...

I would just like to say - hurrah for the end of the Commonwealth Games! At least I can get a seat on the train (sometimes), instead of being elbowed out of the way by some blue-shirted volunteer. So it was with great relief that I boarded the train yesterday expecting a quiet journey into work. Instead, I was confronted with the horrifying sight of an entire carriage of blue people all smugly taking up the seats. Of course, I thought, it's the day after the end of the Games, so there's probably some thankyou thing on in the city (which I'm sure most people know but I don't really pay attention to those things). But again today there were blue shirted people on the train! And they still have the same smug attitudes despite not really being volunteers anymore. I think it's time to give it a rest. I never felt they were special, and while those blue shirts are...blue, they're not that flattering. So my advice is, if you see a blue-shirted volunteer, you have two options. 1. Scream in their face that the games are over and you weren't that special or 2. Burn their blue shirt (while they are wearing it) to fully bring home the point that the games are over.