Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Sociology of Libraries (Part 1)

Welcome to this, the first of 3 parts dealing with the sociology of libraries. I know that the heading sounds like a PhD topic (definitely not mine, though!), but don't be scared! I'm just going to discuss some little quirks I've noticed while on the job.

I am blessed to work in an industry where we get heaps of public holidays and are not pressured into working over long weekends and things like that. You'd think, therefore, that I spent the Easter holiday lounging on a deck chair somewhere, eating chocolates, without a care in the world. But no! The lure of increased pay persuaded me, as it does every year, to work on Easter Monday and reap the (financial) rewards. Actually, I usually volunteer to work as many public holidays as is humanly possible. I think it's pathalogical. Anyway, I went in for a short shift on monday when the library was open for much shorter hours than usual. It was absolutely chaotic and everyone was run off their feet, 'cause apparently a good section of the population didn't understand that monday was a public holiday and that they really don't need to use the library that bad.

But I digress! What I actually wanted to talk about was my horror, shock and disgust I felt upon walking into the returns area and finding that NOT ONE TROLLEY had been emptied on the previous open day (Thursday, I think) and that, not only did I have overflowing returns chutes, but I had to clear all the trolleys to begin with!! I know who the culprit was on the thursday, but don't know whether I should say anything or not. I am very careful at the end of my shifts to clear all the trolleys (well, one or two books is fine, but not a completely stocked trolley) and make sure all the holds are put away. I am obsessive about this. I feel it's my duty to the poor soul who comes in early the next morning. Also, I like things to be tidy.

I am debating what I should do. Did this person leave the trolleys out of ignorance, or was it a malicious attempt to undermine my public holiday glory? In any case, I spent the entire time run off my feet so I definitely earnt my money. I am unsure of the etiquette of the situation - maybe I am the only one who diligently clears trolleys? You would think this would teach me not to work on public holidays but I can almost guarantee that next Easter, I'll be back, slaving away next to the return chutes.