Thursday, May 25, 2006

Waiting outside Flinders Street

In Melbourne, one of the main train stations in the city is Flinders Street station. It's a big interchange point and you can get off and get trams and buses from there too. Most trains either start or end their routes at Flinders Street. The point is there's a lot of trains going in and out of Flinders Street. This sometimes means that trains have to wait just outside the station for other trains to leave the station before they can pull in. Theoretically, that's not meant to happen, but we all know that Connex isn't perfect. That's not the point of this post, although I vehemently agree with others that Connex needs to shape up in a big way. Anyway, my point is that I am ALWAYS on the train that has to wait outside Flinders Street. I guess I should be annoyed by this but I'm more amused than anything. I'm lucky I work in a job that isn't too over the top and my boss doesn't go crazy if I'm 5 minutes late sometimes.

Why am I always on the train that waits to let others past? It doesn't seem to matter what line I'm on, what time of day it is (it happened to me today in the middle of the day - hardly rush hour!), if it's an express train or not, what my destination is. It's always my train. Sometimes I have to wait to allow multiple trains through, showing just how important my train really is. Why is this? The logical answer is that it's a coincidence, and it shows how dodgy Connex is and how many of their trains are late or delayed. I'd like to think there was something else going on. I'm all for conspiracy theories!