Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Copping a Freebie

I should begin with the usual apologies about not updating sooner - as usual the hideous libAIRy course got in the way with time consuming, arbitrary assignments...So sorry. Anyway...

I was happy when I started working in the city because it meant I got off at a central station (so no changes or going all the way into the city and back out again - you have to love Melbourne public transport!!) and there are lots of trains going there during rush hour so it doesn't take me very long to get into the city. However, I have discovered another benefit to working in the city that never occured to me. During the rush hours, people stand outside the station giving out samples of stuff to commuters. By stuff, I mean all sorts of stuff. So far, I've been given perfume and deoderant samples (they mostly go straight into the bin), moisturiser, shampoo, cereal, and tea. Being the poor student that I am (I can't stres the "poor" part enough), I take advantage of all these samples to wash my hair, eat my breakfast and make my tea, at least from time to time. Sometimes this works out very well, such as washing my hair with the shampoo samples. Other times, it's not so good, like the hideous tea I was given which was mint flavoured green tea, made with both synthetic mint flavour and synthetic green flavour. It was disgusting, and I've sampled a fair few teas in my time! My latest sample (that I was given today) is a little tub of body lotion. It seems fairly harmless so I will try it out.

I should also note that the obvious point of giving out these samples is to entice people to buy these new products. I should also note that I have never changed my buying habits to incorporate these new items, although these samples give me several pointers about what to avoid!