Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Sociology of Libraries, part 3

I've noticed that the more irritated I am about answering someone's question, the more helpful I become. Take last friday, for example. I was rostered until 6pm, and bang on the dot of 5pm I was suddenly inundated with questions (most of them along the lines of, "how does the Dewey Decimal System Work/Where is my book?"). The more people who lined up to ask me questions (yes, there was a line!), the angrier I became. However, instead of answering with shorter and shorter replies, I became excessively helpful, explaining the mysteries of Dewey, recommending other books and telling them to look on our webpage. Why is this? I think it's down to guilt. I feel guilty about feeling angry so I'm extra nice. Does that make any sense? Why do I have guilt about library patrons? This is all wrong!!!

In a related note, it probably means if you run into me and I'm being super nice and helpful, I probably really want to slap you and tell you to go away.