Monday, July 24, 2006

The Sociology of Libraries, part 5

"Do you work here?"

This is a question I've become accustomed to while working in libraries. I guess because I am fairly young and usually wear casual clothes (jeans, docs, etc), I could easily be mistaken for a patron of the library. While shelving, both in my current library and my previous one, I have often been approached and asked if I worked there before asking me if I knew where to find a book. I always said yes (of course), but I always wanted to say something like, "nah, I'm just doing this for fun. Want to join in?".

Now, I am usually sitting behind a desk, working at a computer, and wearing (relatively) nice clothes, and people *still* ask me if I work there! Apparently I don't look authoritative at all! Today I was asked at least 3 times if I worked there, while sitting behind the desk, although people had no problem approaching me when I was out among the shelves. I was even wearing a brown cardigan!

In some ways this is a good thing - I suppose I could always say "no", and dissolve any responsibility I otherwise have. But, as it is, I fear I'll continue being asked if I work here, regardless of my locaton or attire.