Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I am a 1950s housewife trapped in a librarian's body

I have been baking a lot lately. I'm not sure why. Quite frankly, my prowess in the kitchen is starting to frighten me a little. I have made cookies, cakes, puddings, more cakes, not to mention roast dinners, scrumptious breakfasts and tasty snacks. Next I will start scrapbooking and making quilts, gardening and general crafts! I have always found a peverse fascination in watching people like Martha Stewart instruct in this area, mainly because I find it so tedious and pointless. Plus, Martha seems so ruthless she is never happy, even when she is trying to show some cute little thing to add as a cake decoration. I bet she is mean to her staff.

I have always enjoyed cooking in a general way but this descent towards housewife-dom is starting to scare me a little. What if I wake up one morning, with my head all full of recipes instead of the dewey decimal system? How will my analytical mind cope with the descent into...shortbread and pie crusts? Will my brain also turn into dough? Because I am greedy, I rarely share my creations. I never bring them into work, and if I bake a cake to take to a friend's house, I usually try and take the remainder home with me. Not good etiquette, perhaps, but better for me!